Friday, August 12, 2011

Beet Burgers!

If you're like me, you think, "Meh, I could live without beets." I'm not a huge fan of these Chenopodiaceae family plants. But let me tell you, they are delicious in burger form. 

I have a little problem of not measuring anything. This is fine for day to day cooking but probably not for a food blog. I'll do my best to estimate my measurements for you. 

First wash the beets and place a couple punctures with a knife in them (or don't...my mom just always did this when baking potatoes so I figured why not with beets too) I place them on foil on the baking sheet so the juices don't burn the sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for at least an hour for large beets. just check them after an hour and see if they are soft. I thought mine were soft and when I cut them open they weren't soft enough so I ended up baking them for like an hour and 40 minutes. Just keep checking them! 

cooked beets
Once the beets are cooked, chop them up and add them to a blender (I use a knock off Magic Bullet) 
Add in the blender:
1/2 an onion diced and cooked in olive oil
2 cloves of garlic cooked in the the onions
1t of cumin (maybe a little less)
1T amino acids or low sodium soy sauce
1.5 T organic natural ketchup
1 cup cooked quinoa 


ingredients blended before extra quinoa is stirred in




Blend until the beet chunks are all smooth
then I added more quinoa to the blended mixture I just stirred it in and then formed patties with my hands. 
Heat in extra virgin olive oil in a pan NON STICK if you have it...I don't. they are pretty delicate so just be careful.


burger with whole wheat bun, onions, tomatoes, butter lettuce, Vegenaise, and mustard
I love the beet burgers at The Plant Cafe so I decided to make my won...I like mine better...I think it's the cumin and grilled onions.

~S

No comments:

Post a Comment